Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
The Monty
Just slidin'

Default Safe RPM in an AU6

Hey guys, car is going in for a tune in a couple of weeks (again).
I have the limiter set at around 6200 at the moment, which is all good, but Id like it a little higher.
I have held the old monty to just over 6500rpm, but wouldnt have done it again in a hurry.
I want to know whats generally regarded as a "safe(ish)" limit to have it set to.
Car should be making peak power at around 5500plus, and I wanted to get the limiter upped to 6500to drop me right into a good bit of power when it changes gears.
What do you guys think?

Old 15-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

are you happy with dropping in a new donk if need be? then go for it.
if not? then keep her at a happy level.
Old 16-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Well, thats what the question was, what is this happy level you talk of?
Old 16-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres not much point going past the max power output, I would suggest whilst on the dyno find out where it starts dropping power and then set the limit 200revs past that. ie. if the power curve starts to fall at 6100rpm, there is no point reving to 6500 cause you are just flooging a dead horse.
Old 16-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
T3man
Banned

What he said ...
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

i wouldnt rev any ea-au motor past 6000rpm to be honest.

they have a big stroke. make no power beyond that.

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_4.0
i wouldnt rev any ea-au motor past 6000rpm to be honest.

they have a big stroke. make no power beyond that.
At the max, especially on a stock bottom end.

I can just see a 6500rpm BOOM!!!!
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
kcej
2mny projects 2 lttl time

Default Why Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_liss_lms10
Theres not much point going past the max power output, I would suggest whilst on the dyno find out where it starts dropping power and then set the limit 200revs past that. ie. if the power curve starts to fall at 6100rpm, there is no point reving to 6500 cause you are just flooging a dead horse.
If we are talking automatics, I think you're wrong (just my opinion, but my reason follows....)

If peak power is at 6100, then isn't it possible you might still have more power at, say, 6500 in second than you are going to get when it drops into third and the revs decrease to suit the wheel speed in the higher gear. It would depend entirely on the shape of the power curve. If the drop after "peak" is MUCH more dramatic than the curve up to peak is, then yeah, you may be right, but I would still bet that 400 revs over "peak" in a lower gear would still be giving more acceleration than you are going to get at the entry point to your higher gear.

If its a manual, then of course you are 100% RIGHT.(driven properly)
kcej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
The Monty
Just slidin'

I make 152KW at 4900rpm atm. Cam and head once fuel can be pumped in will make max power at 5500rpm (has done before it was detuned). So say I make 160kw @ 5500rpm. With the tune as it is, and spinning at 4900 rpm and making 152kw, it still makes 140 @ 6200rpm. So say Im making the said 160@5500, I may still be making 150 odd @ 6200rpm. Id love to give it that extra couple of hundred RPM so when I change gears, its sitting in a nice big heap of power.
I know Stiddy used to spin to 7200, but we all know how that ended up.
Thanks for the input, Ill let you know what we figure out.
Old 16-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
The Monty
Just slidin'

Oh, and just for comparison sake, about flogging a dead horse over 6000rpm. In the Monty at the drags, if I let it change at 6000rpm, I would run 15.2's.
Made peak power @ 4900rpm, 133kw.
If I held it over the line in second (148km/h) and let it go to just over 6200 in first, I would run 14.9.
May seem like flogging a dead horse, but thats a big difference.
Old 17-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
Fordfan4u

6500-6600rpm would be where its at... anything above that would be overkill unless the engine was built to do it.
Get rid of your chiptorque, get an adjustable fuel pressure reg, play with the vernier gear and get it re tuned with an edit. Make some better power. You've got a 3000rpm stall, no point power coming on strong under that.
Me: What button?
Officer: The button for the clutch!!!
Me: [laughing so hard it hurts]
Fordfan4u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
The Monty
Just slidin'

Im using the edit, not a Chiptorque chip. I just get it tuned at Chiptorque. I thought thats about where its at, had a fiddle with vernier gear, went to 6 degrees advanced, and apart from a little bit more down low, I didnt feel any difference between 0-4-6* advanced.
I havent heard of many 6's letting go from big RPM (apart from Stiddy), but everyone seems to know where the limit is.
Elite auto said take it to 6500, I think I will.
Old 17-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Can I ask ya what work was done to the head, and what kind of flow specs you were getting The Monty?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #14
The Monty
Just slidin'

It was just cleaned up of dags and castings I think, cleaned up the ports, shaved 12 thou and flows 288 (I think) hp @ .600
Old 17-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #15
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Thanks for that info. That kind of explains who your able to rev your car to 6000rpm and still make power.

Thats pretty good if you can do that. The max I rev mine to is 5500 but its rare I will get it to that point unless I feel the 'need' to get max power. Most of the time I rev it to 4500-5000rpm if I give it some.

I think I could be going where your going in future. Not necessarily to look for more revs, but definitely more flow with the head porting and a larger cam.

I have a spare already reconditioned head already, and am thinking of going a saloon car grind cam. But thats OT. sorry about that :P

I would say that with yours though, you should only see 6500rpm on rare occasions on a stock bottom end.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #16
Fordfan4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Im using the edit, not a Chiptorque chip. I just get it tuned at Chiptorque. I thought thats about where its at, had a fiddle with vernier gear, went to 6 degrees advanced, and apart from a little bit more down low, I didnt feel any difference between 0-4-6* advanced.
I havent heard of many 6's letting go from big RPM (apart from Stiddy), but everyone seems to know where the limit is.
Elite auto said take it to 6500, I think I will.
Not many people spin theirs as high as 7200rpm. Ive only heard of a handful that have, those people are pushing the envelope. Alot of 6's have problems with excessive revs, the AU bottom ends are incredibly strong but having said that there is a limit.
Ask Elite why not to spin yours to 7000rpm? powerband or the bottom end not taking it? Alot will say because no power up that high. get the head/cam to suit and you can, but then the bottom end comes into it. Again pushing the envelope to see how far you can go.
I find it odd that you felt no difference when changing settings on your vernier gear.
All good, well good luck with whatever it is your trying to achieve.
Me: What button?
Officer: The button for the clutch!!!
Me: [laughing so hard it hurts]
Fordfan4u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #17
The Monty
Just slidin'

I thought it was quite odd as well, but this coming from a guy who thought his car went slower with the flash tune, then ran .5 of a second quicker, so Im not that good of a judge.
When it was set at 4* and was tuned it made 139kw. When I put it on another dyno at 0* it made 138.8kw, so I dont think there was much of a difference at all. In saying that everyone Ive spoken to with a surecam have all advanced theres from between 2-6* and have always made there results there.
Old 17-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #18
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

I see max power is a around 5000rpm,does it hold that power to 6500rpm?

At a guess the extra time to spinup an extra 1500rpm on your motor you would not give the quicker ET.Id say it would take 5tenths to get that extra rpm and i dont think youll get that back by raising the gear change rpm.

An more aggressive final drive would be better and allow you that consistent pull without having to rev the cane out of it.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #19
The Monty
Just slidin'

I have 3.9's, I dont think it will need more agressive gears, lol.
Old 17-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #20
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I accidentally selected 2nd at 110km/h with 4.11's.. Motor rev'd its nana off (I have an AU XR6 Motor) and its still alive. I'd love a $$$ for everytime mine has seen 6000+rpm, and made sweet love to the limiter on the skid pan in a 5 minutes.

I think mine makes peak power a bit over 5200rpm, but Chiptorque said at the drags change around 5800rpm to keep in the peak powerband for a longer time.