Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default H4 headlight specs

Is it okay to use H4 headlights that are 100/90W?
I believe the standard ones are 60/55W.

Does this mean the 100/90W ones are too bright???

Cheers, Dave.

Old 15-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Is it okay to use H4 headlights that are 100/90W?
No, it'll mean you'll melt things.
If you want brighter headlights, makes sure the polycarbonate isn't yellowing, then fit +50 bulbs. They are still 60/55W, aren't hotter, are polycarbonate safe, don't draw more current and produce a decent beam. And they're not faggy blue either.
Old 15-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

go to repco and ask for h4 philips bulbs, i can't remember the power or anything but they are by the best bulbs for a AU
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

The Phillips globes are bl00dy expensive for what you get. A good set of Narva +50s' at less than half the price will give you plenty of light. I run Narva +50's in the AU wagon and they do a fine job, especially on high beam where they give a very good spread out to the sides. I run 100w narva globes in the driving lights which give good penetration to about 400m. In most situations that is adequate light around town but if you want more then there are 2 options. Spotlights are the obvious and to my mind, best value for money would be a set of Narva 175s' at about $140 depending on where you get them. I run 1 spot & 1 spread and that gives more than enough light out to about 500m out past the verges of the road. If you want more light and don't want to have spotties hanging off the front of the car look at HID conversion for your driving lights. It's legal to fit HIDs' to dedicated high beam lenses but not to low beams or combo lights (ie. H4s') If you look on Ebay, you can pick up a good set of 55w HID's for your driving lights for $200 from an australian seller so you have no worries about supply or warranty issues. I have a set of 55w HIDs' in my Fairlane and it's literally like daylight (6000k) when they come on with brilliant light to nearly 600m and that's from a 5" diffused lense that the Fairlane has. In a clear lense like the AU it'd be phenomenal I recon.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

... or for 1/4 of the price, you could try Chinese HIDs.

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

just get the phillips 100/90 globes mate, got them in my car and they have been fine for the last 2 years, they're not sxpensiv, i think i only paid $20 for both of mine from bursons.
Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
sikford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikford
just get the phillips 100/90 globes mate, got them in my car and they have been fine for the last 2 years, they're not sxpensiv, i think i only paid $20 for both of mine from bursons.
yea they are the philips im talking bout, next time my globes go im getting HID i can get the kit for $200 threw a mate.
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikford
Dan, are you using them as your regular 'low-beam' headlights?

This would appear to contradict what Mr Hardware was saying, in that the higher spec lights would 'melt' things......
Old 17-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

yeah just a straight swap over, i have had no problems with them at all so i dont know why ppl are saying that its a bad thing. just dont buy cheap s*** globes.
Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
sikford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post